The United Nations Association in Canada is committed to furthering the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, including goals #11, #12, and #13, which address actions against climate change.
This year, CANIMUN is going green. We’re aiming to reduce our environmental impact of the conference as much as possible. To do this, we will:
- Not be printing anything at the conference. While you’ll still have your delegate packages and placards, we won’t be printing any resolutions or IPF newsletters – so make sure to bring your electronics to the conference for easy access to these resources
- Estimate and offset our entire carbon footprint, including delegate travel to the conference. Though offsetting a carbon footprint is an inexact science, we have a fund set up to pay for the planting of enough trees to, at the very least, mitigate the impact of the pollution our conference will produce.
- Removing garbage bins from committee rooms in favour of recycling and compost bins to encourage responsible disposal of waste from committees.
How can you help?
- Don’t print your background guide or your research – save them as PDFs on your phone, laptop, or tablet
- Avoid garbage: if you’re packing yourself food, use reusable containers and wrappings; if you’re buying it from somewhere at the Westin or in Rideau Centre, ask to get your food “for here” to get it served on a reusable plate.
- Make a Green Choice at the Westin: opt to decline housekeeping services during your stay to reduce your impact, and receive a $5 food voucher!
- Have ideas for how we can reduce our impact even more? Let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org!